If you’re planning on leaving your home unguarded for a little while so that you can take a trip into NYC, you’re going to want to take a few precautions to make sure that your home is safe while you’re gone. Here’s a quick checklist that you can run down in order to make sure that you don’t wind up needing to make a claim on the policy you got through Zapp Insurance Agency:
- Weather-ready your home. If Winter’s coming up, make sure you have your storm windows installed before you leave. If you wind up wanting to stay in Manhattan an extra week, you don’t want to have to run home so you can put the windows up. If Summer’s coming up and you’ve been meaning to patch that leak in the roof before the rain starts falling, get on it. If you’re going to be gone long enough for the weather to change, make sure you’re ready.
- Get some padlocks. Ballston Spa is a peaceful town for the most part, so we tend not to think much about crime. You can leave your shed door wide open and people probably won’t rob you. But, leaving your home unattended for weeks on end with an unlocked tool shed, garage or gate is daring people to come rob you. On that note:
- Inform your neighbors. Let them know you’ll be gone for a little while, so if they hear something, it’s probably a burglar.
- Put your paper subscription on pause. If you subscribe to a paper, that is.
- Shut everything off. A leaky pipe can become a flood if you’re not around to catch it.
Zapp Insurance Agency can help you get a great policy, but a great policy is of no use if you’re not prepared. However peaceful Ballston Spa, NY may be, Ballston Spa, NY is not so peaceful that you want to throw caution completely to the wind.