Do I need recreational insurance for my fishing raft?

The question to consider when you’re thinking about buying insurance for a recreational ride, “Does it have a motor attached to it?”

If the answer is yes, the chances are that you are legally required to buy insurance for it. If the answer is no, then it comes down to personal choice. If it’s just a personal choice for you, then the main thing to consider is what it cost you.

If you’re fishing with a small inflatable boat with no trolling motor or anything, then you are not required to have insurance, but past a certain price point, it’s a bit foolish not to get covered. You might not need to worry about it if you bought the raft at some Ballston Spa, NY yard sale for fifty dollars, and for the cost of insurance payments, you could buy another boat for yourself. Some of these tiny fishing boats are something, rivaling wood and fiberglass boats, and climbing well past the $500 mark. If it would take you more than a week’s pay to buy a new one, you’re probably better off getting insurance.

Liability may be a concern, as well. It’s difficult to do much damage with a small fishing raft, but it’s entirely possible. If this is a concern, then you may want to factor that into your decision as well and give Zapp Insurance Agency a call.

Not everyone who owns a small fishing boat near Ballston Spa, NY needs to get it insured, but if you do, call Zapp Insurance Agency and see if we can get you covered. Our agents can walk you through the process of starting a policy.